Tuesday 9 April 2013

Fiesta MK4 / MK5 and Puma rear arm / trailing arm bushes - Cheap Upgrade

In my last post I shared my experiences of changing the rear bushes on a Fiesta.

Part of what makes the job hard work is the metal to metal friction between the standard bushes and the rear beam. Down under the car, in all the flying crud and salt from our roads they just rust together.

I considered poly bushes but having been extremely disappointed in a well known brands ARB bushes both in terms of performance and wear, I looked for alternatives.

Not wanting the ultra stiff ride afforded by full race spec items like Vibra-Technics but still wanting an upgrade to the rust prone metal originals I tried these Heavy Duty Bushes.

I assume they are for a Fiesta van, they are firmer than the originals and being synthetic wont rust into the car. I went for the cheap ones as a test but should (With British roads when) they fail I will replace with Ford or Lemforder versions.

Here's mine after fitting:




I've been running these for about 2000 miles now, very impressed with the handling and ride is perfectly acceptable. The original bushes I removed were far from knackered so I feel these are a definite improvement over the standard items.

They should also make any further bush replacement far easier as they will pop out with much less effort than the metal ones.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER - Any ideas shared on this blog are provided without warranty and used at your own risk. They are all things I have done and they worked for me, individual experiences may vary, blah blah blah. If it all goes horribly wrong I am not responsible.

No comments:

Post a Comment